Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Something's Hosed Bigtime!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 5 Liter Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2000
    Posts
    402
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    OK, Monday morning I'm getting on the freeway and the car falls on it's face. I pull over and a vacuum line to the FPR was off. I put it back on and started on my merry way and it immediatly falls on it's face again. It idles fine but whenever you get past 10"hg it goes way lean on the A/F and RPM's drop. So far, with John, Randy and Alex's help I have tried replacing the MAP, TPS and ECU even though I am not throwing any codes. Checked the coil and it is within spec. We checked the cam timing and it's bang on. A compression test revealed 225-240 PSI on every cylinder. A pseudo leakdown test (just blowing compressed air into the cylinder at TDC) found that a valve in two of the four cylinders was sticking. You could hear the air escaping and then a pop (the valve closing) and then it sealed. A sticky valve could be the result of my cam timing incident ( intake cam 180' off) about a month ago that caused it to stop running altogether until Randy brought it back from the dead. It has run great since then until Monday.

    So, anyone ever had this problem, where it runs fine at 10-20"hg but anything above that it bogs severely? This is really starting to suck!

    PS: I should point out that zip tying the bypass open did nothing either.

    ------------------
    Bill Winters
    '94 GSR w/ JRSC @ 9 PSI, ENDYN stepper pully, Cartech 20005, Vortech fuel modifier, RC 310's, AEM fuel rail, Hotshot 3" short ram intake, 2 1/4" test pipe and homemade CAI

    [This message has been edited by 5 Liter Eater (edited November 09, 2001).]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 5 Liter Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2000
    Posts
    402
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    T'was the coil. A small burn in the case allowed it to function while not under any load but it couldn't handle anything near atmospheric, never mind boost. It took a lot of troubleshooting and parts swapping to finally find that out but I'm glad that's all it was.

    ------------------
    Bill Winters
    '94 GSR w/ JRSC @ 9 PSI, ENDYN stepper pully, Cartech 20005, Vortech fuel modifier, RC 310's, AEM fuel rail, Hotshot 3" short ram intake, 2 1/4" test pipe and homemade CAI

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 5 Liter Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2000
    Posts
    402
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, with my cheapo Harbor Freight compression gauge I got low 200's but at Randy's we saw 225-240. What's better is when I took the car to Bob (Who figured out it was the coil) and he did a leakdown test the results were 5%-8% which is excellent for a 100k+ motor. Once I get the310's back from RC to be cleaned and flowed and I dial in the fuel curve again I will be ready to dyno.

    ------------------
    Bill Winters
    '94 GSR w/ JRSC @ 9 PSI, ENDYN stepper pully, Cartech 20005, Vortech fuel modifier, RC 310's, AEM fuel rail, Hotshot 3" short ram intake, 2 1/4" test pipe and homemade CAI

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Glad to hear that you are back up and running again.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  5. #5
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Bill, glad you got the car back in order. Wow, your compression is 220-240psi? Your car is in much better shape than mine. I only got low 200s across. But again, I have about 50K more miles than u smile

    ------------------
    It's powered by GASOLINE damnit!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •